Nothing breaks a cold wintery chill like a nice pot of soup simmering on the stove. This is our go-to soup recipe in our household and an absolute fave! (I can’t take all the correct for this recipe, as G originally gave it to me and I’ve added in my own tweaks!)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3-4 heads of broccoli
- 1/2 cup of butter (divided)
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- Chop onion, celery, carrots, red pepper finely and sauté in Large dutch oven with 1/4 cup of butter until soft. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add in chicken broth, Worcestershire and cayenne pepper and simmer on low.
- Cut potatoes into small cubes and broccoli into small bite size pieces and add into pot and simmer on low until potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of butter in large sauce pan, slowly add in and whisk 1/4 cup of all purpose flour. Once whisked together and browned, slowly whisk in 1 can of evaporated milk until thick. Once thick and smooth, add in cheese and mix until cheese is completely melted.
- Take the melted cheese roux and whisk into the the soup until it is mixed together. Season with salt and pepper to taste (add more cayenne if you prefer it a bit spicier.)
- Simmer on low for about 45-60 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Dish soup into bowl(s) and enjoy!